Translate

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Have I Told You Today How Much I Love Flying Gyros?

I don't know if you have ever heard this from me before or not but I love flying gyros!   There is nothing like a gyro! I especially love flying the HoneyBee G2! ™ and right now I am loving flying and building hours in the Tandem. 


There is still a lot of testing and charting to do, but for now here are the numbers: 
  • The Aircraft/Tandem weighs 675#'s
  • 14 gallons of fuel weighs 84#'s
  • I weigh 195#'s
  • Clothing: All the "electric & heavy cloths" weigh around 15#'s/I have to wear all the clothes because it is still cold in the AM around Hastings yet
  • The total package weighs 969#'s
  • NOTE: We will start adding weight in the back seat later next week
The current performance for the 1.3L Suzuki before we start changing props, etc.: 
  • Cruises at 55 - 65 MPH depending on how hard you spool it up. 
  • Average fuel burn so far is 4.5 GPH  
  • Flying in segments of 2.5 hours
  • Rotates for takeoff at 35MPH
  • Approach Speed is 35MPH 
  • Stops flying at 25MPH!  
  • Being in Michigan, it has already been up in winds up to 25MPH, ROCK SOLID
  • Stability: I have had the aircraft in ridge light (uneven terrain) and convective lift with vertical rise as high as 1,300 FPM!
  • UPDATES:
    • Flattened prop pitch to 11 degrees to get 5,500 RPM on take-off & climb out; significant increase in performance. Going to 10 1/2 Degrees on 5-9-11 
    • Repositioned Fuel Use Sensor and re-confirmed 4.5 GPH @ 5,000 RPM 
Havin' a blast!


Jim
PS: More later on the Moving Mast and how well it is working....

1 comment:

jimio said...

GREAT job Jim, Keep up the good work
The aircraft is beautiful and the weather is getting nice,So fly away brother, the world is waiting on you!!! BE SAFE


Jimio