Translate

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The GyroJournal™

Good morning to all of you around the world...in the United States, Germany, Australia, Canada, Russia, United Kingdom, France, Guam, Austria, Norway, New Zealand,  China and Japan!


I have so enjoyed meeting so many of you from the US who follow the Blog, but more surprisingly, I have met many that are international followers as well.  I want nothing more than to meet all of you and ultimately fly gyroplanes together somewhere between here and where you live.   

Moving on to the topic of the morning....as I manage the content of the HoneyBee G2™ Blog, the GyroJournal™ is in the long-term plan of topics to write about.  Back in 1997-2000 when it first began it was by far the most popular page that GyroTech had on its website.  This time I will try to reflect on the lessons and struggles learned in a meaningful way. These lessons will include those learned in my early hours of time in type and how it shaped me into the gyro pilot and designer that I am today.   

Before I get started, I want to acknowledge those that have helped me.  The first person that helped me understand mechanical things was my late Father, Jon Fields. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him. He taught me how to design, weld, drill, bend, fabricate, cast, torque, wire, read blue prints and love Popular Mechanics magazine. He was a master at building anything. It was my father that introduced me to drinking Mountain Dew™ and eating Snickers™ while sketching on a napkin. We were best friends; he passed away over five years ago. I wish he were still here.  Thank you Dad!

The next person is my high school Industrial Arts Teacher, Mr. Ted Curtiss, the father of the famous Chad Curtiss of the New York Yankees.  Mr. Curtiss was strong enough to give direction and wise enough to cut me loose on Independent Studies for new product design. He is a gracious and wonderful man.  Thank you Ted!

The last one that I want to acknowledge is Dr. Ralph Taggart, the designer and promoter of the original Gyrobee.  When he made the plans available at the PRA website, he changed my flying passions forever.  Thank you Ralph!

If you think of topics that would help you, chances are good that I have answered it sometime over the last 14 years. Send me an email if you think of something; I want your input. 


Please see  The GyroJournal listed with the Web Pages of this blog.  



Enjoy!


Jim

No comments: