Translate

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Engine Oil Pump Vs. Oil Mixing



Great Question From Bob...

Hi Bob!

The MZ 202 is a 50/1 gas to oil mix. In other words, 50 ounces of gas to 1 ounce of oil. The net of that is 13 ounces of oil for 5 gallons of gas. Simple once you have done it a few times.

Currently there aren’t any engines available on the market (that will work for us) that have an automatic oil mixing system.  When we used to purchase (back in the late 1990's) ROTAX 447 & 503 engines with oil pumps, guys would take the pumps off and go with Premixing their gas for assurance that it was being done right. 
I have had it both ways (including years of riding   dirt bikes with and without pumps) and I prefer mixing the gas and oil myself.  If I do it, I know that it has been done correctly; I have never had a problem premixing.  On the other hand, I have seized engines (on my dirt bikes/CAN-AM MX2 250cc) with oil an pump because the material in the filter broke down and clogged the oil line to the pump thus starving my  engine of the necessary oil it needed. When the happened, it didn't just seize, it welded..... When it comes to flying, my preference is to premix….

Hope that helps!


No comments: