Translate

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

John Roscoe & His Impression Of the G2 Tandem....


Sunday was a beautifully clear and crisp 32 degree Michigan winter day in Hastings specifically. The HoneyBee G2 2-place gyro sat quietly alone outside of the hangar as I parked the car for my encounter with it and in anticipation of meeting Jim for the first time. My initial impression before meeting anyone as I examined the machine was that it was the most solidly built I had seen. Sturdy, clean and well thought out crossed my mind as I grabbed it "for a shake" .. sorta like "kicking' the tires" on a new car. After a quick phone call to Jim announcing my arrival, Dave emerged from the hangar and directed me to the nearest "pit stop" (bathroom) as I had just completed a 2 1/2 hr drive from Indiana. Ya know .. "First things first" !


Soon thereafter, Jim with his friendly smile and warm greeting welcomed me to Hastings. We had a lively discussion before the flight but the next order of business was to "get warm" as an open cockpit at 75 MPH today could be a challenge. But to my surprise it was not. In addition to the long johns that I grabbed from my car and quickly put on, I was surprised to be fitted with electrically powered socks, gloves and vest all of which prove quite "toasty" as we prepared to take to the air.

Jim and I had talked by phone for the past several months. But now was time for "Let's do it" and DO IT we DID !  As we taxied to the run way I appreciated Jim's enthusiasm to teach me and specifically address issues of safety even during this "initial" phase of flight. As we gently lifted off at 35 MPH I remember how smooth it all felt. I admitted later that the during the first 20 secs into the flight I closed my eyes a few times. You see despite my 1,000 hrs as a private pilot with an instrument rating, I am STILL afraid of heights .. when out in the open .. not when enclosed. But that quickly passed.

And .. out in the open WE WERE !  First at 1500 feet then soon much lower chasing tree lines, spotting 8-10 deer and then running with a coyote along a farm field about 300 feet below. WOW what a remarkable experience. It felt like flying a motorcycle in the air ! The gyro was nimble, responsive and a delight to fly. After a quick pointer from Jim, my tendency to chase altitude was soon remedied. I especially noticed The LACK of "stick shake" that was a common experience in other gyros I had flown. Also, his demonstration of power off spot landings was fascinating in seeing how little room is needed for return to ground. It was amazing to see how quickly an hour went by.

Back in the hangar now, Jim "still at his self-admitted age of 18" meticulously and passionately described the thought about design and safety that he has incorporated in to the HoneyBee line since inception. I was delighted with the discussion as I am a curious guy. Both he and Dave made the welcome feel like "family". Leaving, I looked at the clock .. 4 hrs since I had arrived seemed like just "2" ! The memories of the day made the 2 1/2 hr return to Indiana "easy". 

HoneyBee G2, check them out you'll be glad you did !

John Roscoe
Valparaiso, Indiana

No comments: